‘University of Iowa (2009-present)
- Serve as Director of the School of Journalism & Mass Communication. About 650 undergraduate majors and pre-majors, 30 masters and doctoral students. Supervise 10 full-time staff or equivalent. Serve about 20 tenured, tenure-track, or full-time faculty or equivalent.
- Initiated, wrote, and supervised a new large-scale undergraduate recruitment program, including mailings to high school students and parents, Web/social media advertising, personal visits to high schools, and meetings with guidance counselors.
- Initiated a complete curriculum review by faculty to revise course offerings that were at least 5 to 10 years behind industry and peers. Set mission for a broader, modern, high-tech curriculum.
- Fundraising: Solicited major donation and supervised conceptualization, design, and implementation of certificate in Fundraising & Philanthropy Communication.
- Stewardship: Instituted a program of systematic donor contact—in person, by phone, and by mail.
- Alumni, donor, & industry outreach: Contact, visit, present, talk with Iowa and national media and friends of the School, getting them re-interested and re-enthused about our programs and students.
- Campus leadership as evidenced by being asking to serve on the Provost’s Advisory Council on Student Anti-Drinking Initiatives, the Provost’s Strategic Global Initiatives Council, the Advisory Council for the Office of the Vice President for Strategic Communication.
University of Kansas (2006-2009)
- Served as associate dean for graduate studies and research.
- Supervised two master’s programs (MS in Journalism, MS in Marketing Communication).
- Supervised hiring of new staff for the MS Marketing Communication program and designing of new curriculum.
- Supervised hiring, budgeting, and allocating of all graduate student assistants.
- Served as main recruiter for new graduate students and preliminary adviser for all graduate students.
- Attracted more Fulbright students to the program than any other unit.
- Organized and coordinated School grant initiatives. During my tenure, grants rose from a low in 2004-2005 of a few thousand dollars to around $700,000 in 2009-2010.
- Wrote initial proposal and budget for and supervised application and installation of a new doctoral program in Journalism & Mass Communication.
- Supervised all junior faculty mentor committees.
- Advised all associate faculty seeking promotion to full professor.
- Created new faculty evaluation process, standards and forms.
- Wrote initial draft and co-supervised enactment of School’s new promotion and tenure guidelines.
- Trained within Senior Administrative Fellows program for higher university management.
Louisiana State University (1996-2006)
- Designed initial political communication track and was area head of political communication for five years.
- Served as interim associate dean for graduate studies and research during the start-up of the Ph.D. program and recruited the first class.
- Edited and ran a book series in association with LSU press.
- Co-wrote proposal for a Ph.D. program in Mass Media & Public Affairs.
- Designed budget for LSU Ph.D. program and capstone signature class.
- Hosted the first educational outreach convention of the American Association of Political Consultants.
AEJMC’s Standing Committee on Finance. (2011 to present)
Hosted panel at Dole Institute of Politics on “Blog to the Chief: The Presidential Race and Blogging,” February 2007; broadcast on C-Span.
Adviser to the National Law Enforcement Museum for its “Media” exhibit, 2006-present
AEJMC’s Standing Committee on Research, Tankard Book Award Judge, 2007
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (member, 1995-present)
International Communication Association (member, 1995-present)
Boards of National Organizations
University Press of Kansas Editorial Board Committee, 2008-2009
Advisory Council for 2007 Blogworld Show and Exposition, 2007
National Law Enforcement Museum Advisory Committee, 2004-2008
Editorial Board, Visual Communication Quarterly, 2005-
American Association of Political Consultants, Board member, 1998-2000
External Tenure/Promotion Reviews
Illinois North Florida
Toledo Saint Louis University
Asian Journal of Communication
International Journal of Communication
Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly
Political Communication Quarterly
University of Michigan Press
Visual Communication Quarterly